Friends, I would like share something that might be a worthy read here. Most of us are fond of updating and downloading anti-viruses, especially students in the varsity. Our computers and notebooks are prone to get “infected” and we are used to installing anti-viruses as our means of security for our computers. But is it really safe? What if I tell you that there are cyber criminals who use this circumstances as their platform to install not anti-virus but malware into our computers?
This article deals with the subject of internet security and why you must pay close attention when you decide to download anti-viruses via the internet. Hope it will throw some light into this subject. Read on!
When a computer connects to a network and begins communicating with others, it is taking a risk. Internet security involves the protection of a computer's internet account and files from intrusion of an unknown user. Basic security measures involve protection by well selected passwords, change of file permissions and back up of computer's data.
Security concerns are in some ways peripheral to normal business working, but serve to highlight just how important it is that business users feel confident when using IT systems. Security will probably always be high on the IT agenda simply because cyber criminals know that a successful attack is very profitable. This means they will always strive to find new ways to circumvent IT security, and users will consequently need to be continually vigilant. Whenever decisions need to be made about how to enhance a system, security will need to be held uppermost among its requirements. Anti-viruses helps to enhance our computer’s security system but these days, we need to be alert even as we chose anti-virus for our computer.
- Malware is the most general name for any malicious software designed for example to infiltrate, spy on or damage a computer or other programmable device or system of sufficient complexity, such as a home or office computer system, network, mobile phone, PDA, automated device or robot.
- Viruses are programs which are able to replicate their structure or effect by integrating themselves or references to themselves, etc into existing files or structures on a penetrated computer. They usually also have a malicious or humorous payload designed to threaten or modify the actions or data of the host device or system without consent. For example by deleting, corrupting or otherwise hiding information from its owner.
- Trojans-Trojan Horses are programs which may pretend to do one thing, but in reality steal information, alter it or cause other problems on a such as a computer or programmable device / system. Trojans can be hard to detect.
- Spyware includes programs that surreptitiously monitor keystrokes, or other activity on a computer system and report that information to others without consent.
- Worms are programs which are able to replicate themselves over a (possibly extensive) computer network, and also perform malicious acts that may ultimately affect a whole society / economy.
- Bots are program which take over and use the resources of a computer system over a network without consent, and communicate those results to others who may control the Bots.
The above concepts overlap and they can obviously be combined. The terminology is evolving these days.
Antivirus programs and Internet security programs are useful in protecting a computer or programmable device / system from malware.
Such programs are used to detect and usually eliminate viruses. Anti-virus software can be purchased or downloaded via the internet. Care should be taken in selecting anti-virus software, as some programs are not as effective as others in finding and eliminating viruses or malware. Also, when downloading anti-virus software from the Internet, one should be cautious as some websites say they are providing protection from viruses with their software, but are really trying to install malware on your computer by disguising it as something else.
So there you go, people! It is vital that we have good internet security for our computers or notebooks in order to not fall as victims of cyber crimes.
With reference to Wikipedia. :)